Tips for Pressure Washing Brick Exterior
Pressure washing brick exterior can be a daunting task. Brick is a very durable material, but it does require some occasional maintenance to keep it looking its best. Here are some tips for how to pressure wash your brick exterior.
- Start with a clean, dry surface: Before you begin to pressure wash your brick exterior, make sure that the surface is clean and dry. Any moisture on the surface of the brick will reduce the effectiveness of the pressure washing, as the water can get trapped in any cracks or crevices in the brick and mortar.
- Use a low-pressure nozzle setting on your pressure washer: The high-pressure settings on most pressure washers are effective at removing stains from surfaces like concrete and wood, but they can also damage brick and mortar if used incorrectly. To clean your brick surface thoroughly without damaging it, look for a low-pressure setting on your pressure washer’s nozzle attachment that is specifically designed for use on brick.
- Apply a cleaning solution to the surface: Before you begin pressure washing your brick, apply a mild detergent or cleaning solution directly to the bricks and mortar. This will help break up any built-up dirt and grime, making it easier to remove with the high-pressure water spray from your pressure washer.
- Start at the top of the wall or facade and work your way down: Always start at the top of your exterior walls when pressure washing so that you don’t end up sending dirty water onto clean surfaces below while cleaning around windows or doors that may be open during your cleaning process. Work in small sections as well, focusing on one area at a time until it is completely clean before moving on to the next section.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water at the end: Once you have cleaned each section of your brick exterior, use a low-pressure rinse setting on your pressure washer to remove any leftover cleaning solution or dirt from the cleaned surfaces. This will help ensure that no residue is left on your brick or mortar and that it stays looking as good as new for years to come!
Pressure washing is an excellent way to clean brick and mortar. The high-pressure water can remove years of built-up dirt, grime, and mold from the surface of the brick. This can not only make your brick look cleaner and newer, but it can also help to preserve its lifespan.
In addition, pressure washing can help to improve the ventilation of your brick exterior. Any built-up dirt or mold can create a moisture barrier that can lead to the development of mold and mildew. Pressure washing can help to break up this barrier and allow the brick to breathe, preventing any further damage.
Maintaining your brick exterior can be a time-consuming task, but following these simple tips will help make the process quick and easy. By regularly pressure washing your brick walls and exterior surfaces, you can keep them looking their best for many years to come.